Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Chapter 6: They Say it's your Birthday...



Today is my birthday (I'll hold for applause), and this is the first birthday with my son. These events are crazy when you put it in perspective. For this year the coolest thing I wanted wasn't a PlayStation 3 with DJ Hero (hint hint) but an Ergo baby carrier. Yep that's right something for the baby. I didn't feel obligated to want it, I truly wanted it. I mean I wouldn't have to wrap myself in yards of fabric to hold him up anymore. After my wife sang the obligatory "happy birthday" the little man, that is my son, looks at me as he does everyday with sheer amazement and a blind sort of bliss; again another shinning example of being grateful in the world. This day is more for him as his eyes are wide open and the virtual record button has been on since 6am this morning. We're showing him a human ritual that will be passed on to him as he is showing us that all is well in the world and that he is the greatest gift anyone could get me.

After all the singing and breakfast that was made by my wife and visiting sister-in-law I was told to sit on the couch as they began to shower me with gifts that my dear son Banneker has made for me. One of them is a hand made card


with B's hand printed on paper with finger paint. The very last page of the card was a pleasant surprise. Somehow B decided that he would let us know that he was part Vulcan as he placed his "Live long and prosper" greeting on paper.


Apparently he did this all his own proving to me that the apple,thankfully, does not fall far from the tree.




The next thing I received was....get this: The Ergo baby carrier. For an instant I thought the "Cool and Hip" police were going to kick the door down and take my membership card but then I remembered the reason why I wanted this harness to begin with (think Luke Skywalker in The Empire Strikes Back) Yep I will call this contraption the "Yoda Harness."




So for the rest of the day I think I will kick back, dust off the ole PlayStation2 and wast a few hours playing video games and/or watch a few movies. Of course this will be done after I put Banneker to sleep and send the Mrs. to work. It's up for grabs, I mean today is my day after all.

And so it is I am...
L. Jeffrey Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment